If you have been dreaming of an adventure trip for a long time, now is the time to put it into action. The Amazon is the second largest river in the world which spans across eight countries. The rainforest also known as Amazon Jungle covers most of the area occupied by the Amazon Basin in South America and is the largest forest on the planet. Nature and adventure enthusiasts dream of visiting the forest at least once in their lifetime. It is a dense, broadleaved jungle which supports a varied ecosystem and offers countless possibilities. It has a lot to offer for adventure enthusiasts and you might stumble upon something new with every single step you take in the rainforest. It is one of the most sought-after destinations for adventure enthusiasts and whether it is an individual or a group, the jungle is a treasure of ample opportunities for everyone.
When to visit
The rainforest experiences monsoon between November to June. Water level rises during this time and the low lying areas tend to get flooded. Many of the smaller channels on the basin become accessible during this time. It is an ideal time for kayaking and river cruising adventures. On the other hand, the forest experiences dry season during July to December and the water level starts receding which creates exciting possibilities for adventures. If you want to indulge in hiking, fishing and watching wildlife, this is the best time to travel.
Period of stay
A week is a good amount of time to spend in the region. You may require about two to three days for travel and transfer and four to five days to indulging in activities. If you have a longer duration of time at disposal, you can explore different regions of the jungle.
What to expect
There are common activities you can easily indulge in, like hiking, whitewater rafting, canoeing, camping in the wilderness, bird watching and fishing. Brazilian Amazon is known for the indigenous communities that reside here; you can visit and interact with them. If you are a lover of wildlife, enter the jungle from Peru since there are great spots for bird watchers and wild animals. If you enter the jungle from Brazilian side, you get a typical glimpse of the jungle since there has been large scale deforestation in the area off late. However, you can indulge in activities like river cruising, sport fishing, kayaking and tree climbing. For those who want to take the best of both worlds should travel from Colombian side for the best of flora and fauna.
Factors to consider
- You need to decide whether you want to hire a tour operator or travel on your own. If you travel on your own, you will have to face certain complications but if you have enough time, it will suit you. You will have to conduct thorough research and make your bookings well in advance.
- On the other hand, if you hire a tour operator, they will take care of all your needs and manage your budget.
- If you intend to visit the remote areas in the forest, you will have to hire a local guide who is well versed with different languages.
- Consider your budget when booking a trip. If you choose to go lavish, it could mean private car transfer, grand lunches and dinners with accommodation in an upscale camp. However, it will cut you off from the local culture and life in Amazon. Or you can opt for budget travel and get basic amenities, public transport and mediocre lunches and dinners. You can balance the same by choosing a mix of both. Opt for budget accommodation with quality excursion and food.
- There are multiple routes to access the forest. It can be accessed through four countries which include Brazil, Ecuador, Peru and Colombia. The easiest and fastest route to get into the rainforest is from Manaus which is the largest city of the Amazon state.
- From Peru, the easiest way to access the forest is through the city of Iquitos in the Loreto Region of the country. However, Iquitos can only be accessed by air and water.
- The major hub for excursion into the Colombian Amazon is through Leticia which is the southernmost city of the country. There are several river cruises to the jungle which can be booked from Leticia and it promises a unique experience to the tourists.