The great Rann of Kutch in Gujarat is not only famous for the rich history and exotic locations featured in a number of Bollywood movies. The natural splendor is famous for the Rann Utsav. No picture can do justice to the magnificence of the desert of Kutch. There is art, music and abundance of life at this annual festival. The festival is organized by the Tourism Department of Gujarat and is scheduled from 1st November 2017 to 20th February 2018. The shimmering landscape is a spectacle to view once in your lifetime. It begins in Bhuj and the entire district joins the gala for the three months. There are more than 400 AC and non AC tents for the accommodation of tourists which are set up near a village called Dhordo.
The desert is 7,505 square miles in Thar and is a sensational salt march which has a sparkling panorama of white sands. This will be an experience of a lifetime with authentic cuisines, star gazing, shopping and sightseeing.
Reasons to visit the festival
1. Dance and Music: Take a break from your busy life and enjoy the traditional folk dance and music at the festival. Shake a leg in the dessert and give the Bollywood music a break.
2. Adventure sports: If you are an adventure enthusiast, you can indulge in tandem bicycle, Velcro wall climbing, ATV ride and para motoring.
3. Food: You will be blown away by the authentic Kutchi food. In addition to a number of mouthwatering dishes, the tea is quite famous in the area.
4. Handicrafts: Kutch and handicrafts go hand in hand. The locals are involved in creating amazing embroidery pieces. The beauty of the traditional work is mind blowing and you will be able to shop paintings and carvings for your home.
5. Hot air balloons: The most amazing thing about the Rann are the hot air balloons that you can actually ride on.
6. Kite Festival: The kite festival is a special occasion in the Rann. Celebrate the festival with a sky full of colorful kites and the desert covered in white, the sight will be spectacular.
7. Date the moon: The full moon night is an ideal time to visit the desert. It is more romantic than words can express. The serene sand and the moon in all its glory will leave you speechless.
8. Sightseeing: There are a number of sightseeing options from the desert. You can head to Dwarka or the Somnath temple from here.
9. Star gazing: With the increasing pollution across the cities, we rarely get to sight the stars in the night sky. At the desert, you will be able to see the stars on the black carpet and soak in the serenity of the night.
It is easy to reach the desert and they offer state of the art facilities to every tourist. There are luxury tents at the venue, comfortable home stays and a number of hotels to choose from. If you want to make the most of your visit, you should ideally plan a trip during the full moon and book your stay in advance.